A Democratic Classroom: Yay or Nay?

What will you do to implement the necessary strategies to maintain democracy in your classroom?

The reading from Bomer & Bomer lays out a pretty solid foundation for the beginnings of a democratic classroom, and they lead with the understanding that part of our identities come from the communities around us. We learn by experiencing life along with other people, and we can learn from our peers. Think about this for a second. Do you feel the same way? Can you trace some of your most learned experiences to times that you shared either with people or as a by-product of interactions with people? 

We've talked many times in class how important it is to establish an environment in your classroom where your students feel safe enough to speak out and feel open enough to share their thoughts and opinions. Community is one of the main tenets of the guidelines in this chapter, along with intention, dialogue, collaboration, and inquiry. But first, the most important part of it all is the community. Remembering the core values we came up with at the end of the fall semester can be a guiding light in our intentions we set for the classroom, and they may also drive the guidelines we set. I enjoyed that Bomer & Bomer talk about the importance of not just immediately thinking about negative "injunctions against particular, often trivial behavior." But instead to focus on constructing new ideas for the classroom, to construct norms "that reflect an explicit vision of how the class will live together." This does sound like a really great foundation for a classroom. 
Reading through this chapter, I started to think about brainstorming my own classroom guidelines. What exactly do I hope my students will come up with when they are establishing their own "constitution" in the classroom?

Here is what mine kind of look like:
Intention: I want my students to have the freedom to voice their opinion, and be met with a listening ear, even if I can't completely understand, I will strive to give them that power.
Dialogue: I will encourage them to have an open discourse in the class that represents my students as individuals, even if they don't all agree with each other's opinions, I want them to have a continuous open dialogue among their peers and myself as the teacher.
Collaboration: I will continue to think of new ways to draw out collaboration among my students, whether this is reached through critical book clubs in the classroom, or interviewing their peers, they will continue to learn from differentiating perspectives.
Inquiry: I want to encourage students to constantly question the world around them in search of uncovering new questions and new areas of study, not for "finding 'answers' or being 'right'". 
Community Space: I will let go of my own desires to have the perfect picturesque classroom, in hopes that it becomes a clean slate every year that allows the students to be in charge of everything that makes the classroom community feel like a home.


I admit that all of this seems so much easier said than done. What will actually happen when I'm faced with a classroom of 30 students waiting for my instruction? When it comes to introducing social change in the classroom and creating a democratic classroom, I believe our own worst enemy is our own fears. I think it's a lot easier to think about creating an environment that meets these standards of criticality, but we tend to fear what parents or administration will say if they believe that we aren't on task or the children aren't learning anything. But I also get very excited to think about maintaining a classroom that changes every year based on the students within it. And there are plenty of stories we can read from all across the world of students who are making big changes or teachers who are inspiring not only their students but every pair of eyes that watch the viral videos passed around on Facebook. I have to admit that I get very overwhelmed when I'm scrolling through some of the teacher accounts on Instagram and see how their classrooms are beautiful, bright and colorful. While starting the year with a blank slate might be a little embarrassing on the first day, when "children see their ideas and questions taken up by the teacher and their classmates, and they understand that in this place they are seen and heard", this should make all the difference in an empty classroom. 

The idea that children can not only form their own opinions but also ACT on them is increasingly apparent today with the ease of social media.
On Friday, March 15, youth from all across the world skipped school to protest inaction on climate change. I read this story about an 11-year-old, Juniper Grace, who is behind the protest in Berkeley, CA. Children will find their own heroes to follow and listen to, so why shouldn't we also help these conversations along in our classrooms?

"Her classes don’t involve a lot of public speaking or learning about climate change. So Grace is improvising her own curriculum, becoming a teacher to her peers, and stepping up to lead a movement." (Dillon, KQED, 2019)


I have a high school teacher friend who told me about a project he asked his history class to do about "fake news," and some ways we can critique the click-bait we are bombarded with on social media. The students were asked to choose 6 articles and under the criteria his students developed in the classroom, they had to study and judge whether the article was legitimate or not. I think this is an amazing way to at least allow for some discussion to happen in class about reading articles online with a critical eye. And I think that there are ways we can bring this into the elementary school classroom through open dialogue about the questions students have about the world around them. Bomer & Bomer give an example toward the end of the chapter about dealing with difficult situations in the classroom, and I would like to ask the rest of you how you feel about embracing difficulty. How do you feel you will facilitate a conversation about a topic that may get a little tense among your students? Is it as simple as changing the subject? Do you agree that every student's opinion matters?




Emma Quintin


Resources:

Bomer, R., Bomer, K., (2001). For a better world: reading and writing for social action. Portsmouth, NH: Heineman. pp 98-110. 

Dillon, R. M., (2019, March 15).  Meet the 5th grader behind Berkeley's student strike against climate chage. KQED. Retrieved from https://www.kqed.org/science/1939123/meet-the-5th-grade-organizer-behind-berkeleys-student-strike-against-climate-change.

Comments

  1. Emma,

    I enjoyed your constitution for a democratic classroom. It is very thoughtful and concise. I like how you have grounded the discussing around “Community.” As I recall in my schooling and now with the substitute teaching I have seen the teachers in each grade level create a community. The elementary school I have been into this semester have a common area which is decorated in one theme such as Harry Potter, and from that theme, each classroom has become a Hogwarts classroom. This gives the students a feel for two types of community within their grade level. Within the classroom, groups of students form a desk island which has a name of a house teams or quidditch teams. All of this brings the classroom together into a small community. When the students start to form the classroom rules, they will need to consider “empathy and imagination are habits necessary for participating in a caring, cooperative, democratic life” (Bomer, p. 104). “The most important goal is to open children’s eyes to the world of another person” (Bomer, p. 104). Through discussions, rules/guidelines are created by the students and followed by everyone. In this case, these rules/guidelines have given a safe and secure place where students can hold each other accountable for good and bad deeds. From the teachers that I have talked with this democracy did not come easy or fast. It takes several months to build up these safe places for different students.
    Just like as a teacher, we are getting to know each student, that same can be said about each student. As a teacher, we will have to continually revisit the “constitution” that we establish with the classroom, how to recognize good versus bad choice the students are making. Through these checks and balances the classroom “constitution” strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, you bring up some really great points as well! I definitely think creating a classroom democracy will take a lot of time and effort, and a lot of consistency. I love the idea of having teams or groupings of students that are Hogwarts houses or something fun like that! I have seen some images of non-conventional classroom set ups from teachers on Instagram and Pinterest, so the extra element that comes in to play when you give the groups a theme could really be fun and beneficial for everyone! I definitely agree that the rules and guidelines for the classroom should stem from class discussions or the classes behaviors as well, and should be tailored to fit each class every year.

      Delete
  2. Although I appreciated all that the chapter had to offer, I feel conflicted about a lot of the ideas. Perhaps it's my old-school mentality still coming up, thinking that students can thrive with structure and some rules. I'm sure it's partly due to my own schooling experience, however, I see the same type of structure in many classrooms today. I do agree that community is crucial, and I have seen this tenet enacted in the school I worked in. They fostered community and it truly felt like a family. But the idea of a true democratic environment, as Bomer talks about, wasn't completely embraced. It really does come down to relinquishing the "teacher" control, and becoming more of a guiding force...encouraging student voices and growing them into who they are created to be. I WANT to do this. But it is still uncomfortable. It still brings up fear. And it makes me have flashes of a completely chaotic environment. Just being honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, I think you bring up a great point, and I appreciate your honesty! I think we've touched on this in our classes about how some of these things we are reading seem a little "Utopian". And then we look online or talk to friends and it seems extra difficult to fathom because the classrooms our friends tell us about or ones we work in don't embrace all of these ideals. I guess I don't accept that all of my teacher control will leave when I'm trying to embrace a democratic classroom, and that there can be structure and expectations within a guided approach. I don't have to be the authoritative figure in the classroom, though. I can give my students opportunities and the ability to have a platform in my class where their voice matters and has a say in the classroom. I also don't think this will happen on the first day either, it will take time to develop! Although, it will be really interesting to see if I can keep this attitude up when I'm faced with a particularly talkative or boisterous class.......

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the rough draft of your classroom guidelines! I’ve also thought a lot about what kind of classroom environment I want to create. My vision for my classroom is constantly evolving. I’m sure once I get in the classroom some things may change, but I hope that I stay true to the majority of the guidelines/beliefs I’ve established over the course of this program (and my life). I may have to steal your section on intention. I like the idea of hearing students out, even if you don’t necessarily agree with what they have to say. This way they don’t feel like they have to agree with you or regurgitate what you think in order to get a good grade. I’ve had those teachers in the past, and I found that though I learned to change my answers to suit them and get a better grade, I never learned anything.

    I love the link you included on Juniper Grace. Honestly, having students like Juniper who take action would be infinitely more rewarding for me than having students who just get straight As but aren't passionate about anything. This can only happen though if we create a space where students feel safe to express their opinions and act on issues they’re passionate about. I think the first step towards this is being honest with students about if a topic is hard or uncomfortable for you to talk about. They’ll most likely pick up on that discomfort anyway, but if you’re upfront about it, you can set a precedent for starting those tough conversations and pushing past your discomfort/fear. I also think it will be important for me to be realistic about my expectations for the type of dialogue we'll be having at the start of the year. Dialogue that goes beyond surface level is only likely to occur once you've made those connections with your students and establish trust/openness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addy! I'm sure these guidelines will evolve and form as I make mistakes and learn to change things up, but this chapter just kind of made me want to put them out there. I really appreciate your point about showing the humility students need to see adults embrace when topics are discomforting! That is so true! It is so hard to admit that a topic is tough and uncomfortable but not every conversation we have will be all "sunshine and rainbows," so introducing students to deeper level discussions will also require me to think more about what I say, and how I say it, as well. Isn't Juniper Grace so amazing?! I love these examples of students making waves in their schools, and taking charge of their own beliefs and values. I only hope to create a classroom that blossoms into children making their voices heard, even if it's about a topic where we might not see eye to eye. How do you think you will approach a difficult situation where a student(s) is vocal about his/her opposing opinion, one that might offend other students in the class?

      Delete
  4. Great Post Emma! At the beginning you asked about our identities stemming from learned experiences through other people and our community. I feel it absolutely is. I know from past experiences, that my greatest learning experiences involved me and how I handled a situation. All of my defining moments have come through the interactions of others. Only works when I can take a step back, talk to other people in similar situations, and get advice and wisdom on how I can be better as person that will allow me to handle a situation better next time. I also believe you have to surround yourself with people who have similar core beliefs. When it comes to creating a democratic classroom, I think it is very important to reflect these core beliefs. I know from experience if the leader in the classroom or workplace doesn’t reflect what is being preached, it will have a negative impact on the whole environment and therefore not feel very democratic when one person such as the teacher can do things that others cannot. We have to make sure our students voice and opinions matter in the decisions of the classroom. It is also important that our students know that their voices are being used to help create a better classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug- You are so right when you say, "It is also important that our students know that their voices are being used to help create a better classroom." Of course it's one thing to say that they have a voice, but then what becomes of that? So we have to take it one step further and make sure we include their opinions into changes in the classroom, even if they are small changes-at least they are being noticed and taken seriously! Do you think you learned some valuable lessons from your experience of ways you can be a different leader than the ones you've had in the past?

      Delete
  5. I love your ideas for your classroom guidelines. I think students would love to be able to feel included in the decision making and have a say in what they are going to learn. I really liked your point on how you are excited for your classroom to change each year because of the new students coming in. I think it is so refreshing to hear this and it makes me excited to. Having that open dialogue with your students will make the classroom a place where they are excited to go and excited to learn. By creating that community with the students, so much more can be accomplished and the students will grow more as strong, empowered individuals than a classroom where only the teacher controls what they are going to learn about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tori! "Having that open dialogue with your students will make the classroom a place where they are excited to go and excited to learn." SO. TRUE. And MAN, do I really hope I can create that environment for them, because if they are excited about the topics, they will be more invested in them, and hopefully learn so much more out of the experiences. I only hope I will be able help my students grow into empowered individuals at the end of the year, but sometimes that does seem so daunting it feels like a pipe dream. Do you think your core beliefs that you came up with at the end of the semester last year have evolved a bit based on things we've learned this semester?

      Delete
  6. Emma, I loved hearing your ideas for your democratic classroom! I agree (as I’m sure most of us would) that community is the most critical aspect of creating a democratic classroom. When I look back at my own school experience it was very structured and not open to discussion from classmates regarding rules or curriculum. We did what the teacher wanted and learned what the teacher felt we needed to learn, end of story. While it is hard to know how it will be until we’re in our own classroom and feel the pressure from administration, parents, and especially the young minds we are going to educate, I think we must keep in mind how important discussion and collaboration are to building the minds for social action. As I said in my post under Amber’s blog, how can we expect our students to become activists for a wide-range of social issues if they don’t feel they’re being listened to even in a small setting like our classroom? As far as your question about facilitating conversations about a tense topic, I think the first step is creating an environment where our students are aware that everyone’s opinions matter and are heard. I enjoyed the part in Bomer & Bomer when the authors talk about Katherine’s classroom activities at the beginning of the year when students become a community and are there to listen, support, and help their fellow classmates in anyway they can. This is the kind of activity that creates an environment where these conversations can be facilitated. Rather than students creating a list of rules that they regurgitate from past classes or their home life, we should aim to create a classroom that understands how their actions affect others and what kind of behavior creates the best environment for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sam! I appreciate your insights as well! I totally agree, even if we give them voice for small things like the books mentioned the "Take-a-break Books" in Katherine's classroom, imagine how that confidence could grow through the year! "Listening, supporting, and helping their fellow classmates in any way they can" sounds like a really great foundation to give our students on their first day. And I completely agree with your point about the pressures we will deal with and how we might act differently in the face of all that, but I really do hope I can remember the young minds in my class and speak up for their voices in any way I can! I'm also remembering Dr. Carr here when she said that "we have to be advocate's for the children in our classroom." I hope we can live up to that challenge!

      Delete
  7. Wow, I love your post Emma! Thanks for sharing your blueprint for your classroom guidelines. They match up very well with what I've been hoping and wishing my future classroom environment will look like. I especially love the inquiry one. From our field experience (especially science), I've seen that many students don't know how to ask questions or explore topics without getting the right answer. Knowing how to pose questions is certainly important academically, but also personally. I also like the thread that runs through your guidelines of listening and appreciating others' opinions and contributions even if you don't agree. Again this has academic value, but the ability to listen will serve students well in their personal lives.

    I love the quote you pulled out too: "children see their ideas and questions taken up by the teacher and their classmates, and they understand that in this place they are seen and heard." I want nothing more than for my future students to feel seen and heard and valued in my classroom. This chapter gave me a lot of food for thought and practical ideas for accomplishing that goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, I appreciate that! Yeah, I really like that idea of asking a lot of questions and exploring topics, but not to find the "right answers" or "being right" but just to simply explore and keep exploring. Have you ever just found yourself down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and the next thing you know you're 20 tabs deep trying to find where music genres stem from and you still aren't quite sure where you started looking in the first place? Ohhhh so many times. Haha! But it would be cool to also teach students that this process is totally fine too! (Not the 5 hours I spent on the Internet, but the continuous questioning that happened during that time.) And I definitely agree about wanting my students to "feel seen and heard and valued in my classroom" as well, I like that our ideals line up as well!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your vision for what you want to see in your classroom Emma! I really think those are such great goals and intentions for your students. I was reading Priscilla and your exchange about how we read these steps and ideas for a democratic classroom, and I think yes this is what I want for my classroom. Then I think about it a little deeper and I get a little anxious and wonder how can I make all of these wonderful things a reality? I agree these "Utopian" ideas can be anxiety inducing, and it will take a lot of practice and experience to understand what this could really look like.

    Also, like Priscilla I think at the same time don't students especially elementary students need structure especially if they aren't getting it at home? I particularly questioned when Bomer & Bomer discuss observing children from a tightly controlled classroom stating, "follow those children out to the playground, however, and you will see nasty outbreaks of verbal and physical violence, of social ostracizing and scapegoating" (p. 99). This is a pretty bold statement to just drop it there and not prove it with specific examples or research. I hate to just blindly disagree, but like a lot of us I grew up in a traditional school system that Bomer & Bomer would most likely criticize. However, I didn't see many kids at the playground lashing out violently because they felt repressed in class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggling with the Struggle

Appreciative feedback > standardized rubrics

Engaging African American Boys in Reading